I'm writing this as I watch my son lie on the floor and try to keep his eyes open. Last night was a busy and late night for him, and he's been fending off sleep since he woke up this morning.
It's that time of year again. Time for the Holt County Fair and Rodeo.
As life goes in the Pospichal household, our schedule was off from the get-go, but we still had a wonderful time.
The evening began with me dropping off AJ at Lindsay's for a play date while I went to supper with Jenny and Hope. AJ began to cry hysterically once he realized I didn't take my shoes off when I entered the house. My last view of AJ was of him standing at the patio door, hands on the glass, tears streaming down his cheeks, yelling "MOMMY!" Thirty seconds later, Lindsay sent me a text telling me not to worry. He was fine and playing with tractors with Carter. What a manipulative little twerp!
I had promised Barry that I would cut my supper date short so we could be at the rodeo in time for the Grand Entry. As I pulled into Lindsay's drive to pick up AJ, my phone rang. It was Barry. He had to take a tanker to the arena to water it down before the rodeo. He assured me he would be home soon. I picked up AJ and we patiently awaited for Barry to arrive at home.
Ninety minutes later, Barry walked through the door. He not only had to water down the arena, but then had to refill the tanker. And, since the tanker holds like a billion gallons, this was no small task. Then he had to check a pivot.
We made it to the rodeo just in time for the saddle broncs. AJ loved the rodeo. However, we encountered a problem. Our child has no fear of animals. He's scared to death of people (like his parents), but never met an animal he didn't like. It was all Barry and I could do to keep AJ from scaling the fence to climb in with the steers and calves. He then tried to crawl through the gate to get into the arena to see a horse. The calf scramble about sent him over the edge because he wanted to join the kids who were wrestling with the calves. He lost interest during barrel racing and began to run like a maniac under the bleachers. Since I am in no condition to chase after him in such a tight space, I put Barry on AJ duty. He, of course, thought it was cute and let him run wild. AJ refocused on the rodeo when bull riding began. He thought it was hilarious that the bulls were "winning." Each time a cowboy got thrown (usually on the second jump out of the chute), AJ would yell "Bye, bull."
When the rodeo ended, AJ demanded that we see the John Deere baler. Barry wanted an iced tea, so we made our way to the concessions stand, pacifying AJ with the promise of a funnel cake. That's when AJ experienced one of the greatest moments of his short life. Near the concessions stand was a John Deere Gator. He could barely contain himself! AJ loves all things John Deere, but he is especially obsessed with the Gator. While I ordered our food and drinks, Barry took AJ to sit on the Gator. Then he didn't want to get off. And AJ's a smart kid. He knows that when it comes to his father, screaming and whining doesn't work. Guilt does. I'll bet my husband buys the child a ride-on Gator for his birthday or Christmas.
We ended the night letting AJ eat his funnel cake sitting in rim of the tire of a John Deere tractor. He couldn't stop smiling. We also found that AJ also loves Rowse rakes, even though they're painted red. AJ is quite racist when it comes to machinery. He wouldn't even stop at the Case tractor and wind rower parked next to the John Deere tractor and Rowse rakes.
Tonight we're off to the rodeo again. AJ is already excited to see the bulls and horses. And Barry and I are excited to go, as well. We never knew how fun events could be until we saw them through the eyes of a child.
Friday, August 13, 2010
Copyright 2009 The Pospichals. Powered by
Blogger.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Sponsored by: Website Templates | Premium Wordpress Themes | consumer products. Thanks to blogger template
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Sponsored by: Website Templates | Premium Wordpress Themes | consumer products. Thanks to blogger template
0 comments:
Post a Comment