Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Bed Crisis

I would love to still be snuggled up in my bed right now, but I've been evicted.  I was kicked out by a one-year-old.

AJ has outgrown his crib.

For the last week, he's awakened in the middle of the night with an arm or leg "stuck."  He likes to stretch out as he sleeps, and can barely do so in his crib without every appendage escaping through the slats.  So, he wakes up screaming in pain in the middle of the night and refuses to go back to his crib.  Hence, why I've been sleeping on the couch, and he's nice and comfy in my bed.  Oh, sure, I know what you're thinking:  Why am I not in the bed with him?  Because he's a kicker, and a hitter, and a scratcher, and a snorer.  Those are the very same reasons that Barry and I don't sleep together.  I felt like I had been in a bar brawl when I woke up in the morning.  I need my sleep.  A fully rested Gina is a happy Gina.

I guess it's perfect timing, since we'll be needing the crib for the baby in a couple of months.  But Barry and I aren't ready.  Not because we're sentimental about our baby growing up and needing a "big boy" bed, although that doesn't make the move any easier.  Instead we've spend the last four weeks wracking our brains trying to figure out what size and type of bed to get our growing boy.

He seems to have fallen in love with my queen-sized bed.  But I have news for him: Ain't gonna happen.

We've ruled out a toddler bed because it's technically the same size as a crib.  We've decided on a twin.  Now we're trying to find a cheap, durable, twin bed that will last us until his feet dangle over the end (hopefully a few years down the road).  One thing I've figured out is that it's impossible to find a cheap AND durable bed.  There's cheap but not durable, and durable but not cheap.

I thought that I had found the perfect bed (a Step2 "Lifestyle" Bed), but Barry assured me that I was out of my mind.

I hope that we find something soon.  I'm starting to leave an indention on the couch!

0 comments:

Post a Comment