Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bed Crisis Update

This morning before he left for work, Barry did what every rational husband of a hormonal, sleep-deprived pregnant woman should do.  He left me his credit card and told me to buy whatever bed I wanted and not tell him what it cost or what I bought.  Now, I'm not stupid.  I know that there was definitely fine print attached to this:  As long as it doesn't cost more than $200 with the mattress.

I knew that number was his limit because he kept mentioning it repeatedly last night during our discussion.  I kept telling him that we would be lucky to find a mattress for under $200.  Sometimes Barry is clueless when it comes to the price of things, i.e. shoes, diapers, groceries, and--obviously--bed frames and mattresses.

So today I called stores in Norfolk with very little luck.  It seems that Deets' is discontinuing their youth furniture line (but--by the prices I was quoted--are not in a hurry to move the remaining two beds left), Slumberland didn't have a twin bed in stock, and Budget Furniture had one maple-finished bed on hand.  (I'm a matchy-matchy person, so the finish has to be cherry.  Nothing quite like making the search even more difficult, huh?)

Then I had a crazy idea.  I remembered that O'Neill had a furniture store.  So I called there.  And you know what? They were amazing! I told them exactly what I was looking for: cheap, durable, and cherry-finished.  Although they didn't have any beds in stock, they directed me to a website from their distributor.  I found a bed and they are going to order it in for me.  And the best news is that it meets my strict criteria.

When Barry came home for lunch, I told him he could take his card back.  "How much was it?" and "What did you get?" were the first words out of his mouth.  So much for the perfect shopping experience.  On a positive note, he was almost (and I stress almost) pleased with my bargain shopping abilities.

Now I'm going to have to wait two weeks to truly judge if this bed does live up to being both cheap and durable!

0 comments:

Post a Comment