Sunday, August 1, 2010

AJism #110

Although this isn't a true "AJism," I thought I would mark it as one since tonight commemorated a truly monumental event.

AJ took his first shower.

Barry got home from work and told us that he was going to take a shower.  AJ said that he wanted to come with him.  Apprehensively, Barry and I both looked at each other.

"Are you sure you're up for this?" I asked.

"Yeah.  Why not?"

"Well, for starters, you'll be naked."

I could tell that Barry was contemplating chickening out because this was going to be way out of his comfort zone, but he agreed to let AJ take the shower with him.  (Keep in mind, Barry doesn't pee in front of AJ because it makes him feel "uncomfortable.")    It may have helped that AJ was jumping up and down, clapping his hands, saying "Shower with Daddy" over and over.

After promising both that I would be right outside the bathroom door for moral support, I stripped AJ down and handed him to Barry.  There were no tears, just a wide-eyed little boy who must not have realized that the water would be going while he was in the shower.

Granted, AJ probably isn't as clean tonight as he would have been with a bath--I'm a stickler for lathering up every nook and cranny--but he's made another "big boy" step.  It's another one of those bittersweet milestones that seem to come much too quickly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment