Today Barry and I are going to a wedding... together. This doesn't happen very often as Barry hates weddings. Most of the time, I go to the wedding and share the excuse that Barry's concocted to explain why he's not there. But today is different. It's the daughter of Barry's best friend. Which means he's actually excited about going.
Me. I'm not what you would call a wedding enthusiast. This may have something to do with the high number of failed marriages I've witnessed. I have a good feeling about today, though. I know these two are the real deal. They will be together forever.
When Barry and I got married, I wonder how many people were in the congregation placing bets on our wedded longevity.
So far we've made it ten years.
On paper, Barry and I look like we're a train wreck waiting to happen. We're two high-strung, head-strong, opinionated, eldest children. Needless to say, when we fight it's a doozy. Luckily, our fights are usually limited to three topics: in-laws, religion, and politics. We know when any of these topics arise in conversation that we're walking on thin ice.
I once asked Barry if he would remarry if I died. His reply? "No way in hell." At first I was a bit offended. Has his experience been that bad? But, you know what? I feel the exact same way. I can't imagine being married to anyone else. We're both independent. If either of us remarried, I doubt we'd find spouses that were as understanding about our desire to often act alone.
As I told Jenny earlier this week, love isn't about finding your soulmate. It's about finding a person whose negative characteristics annoy you the least. That's a match made in heaven.
I remember early in our marriage, some days would be a little rocky. During one of these episodes, Barry gave me the following advice: "Gina, you need to quit reading those romance novels."
"Why?" I asked.
"Because they put unrealistic ideas of a relationship in your head. They make you think that real life is a fairy tale. It's not. And I sure as hell ain't Prince Charming."
Barry was right. My life isn't a fairy tale. However, it's about as close as it can get.
Saturday, July 31, 2010
Copyright 2009 The Pospichals. Powered by
Blogger.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Sponsored by: Website Templates | Premium Wordpress Themes | consumer products. Thanks to blogger template
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Sponsored by: Website Templates | Premium Wordpress Themes | consumer products. Thanks to blogger template
0 comments:
Post a Comment