Monday, November 1, 2010

The Greatest Gift

Today I have been praying all day for a little boy and a family I've never met.

I first heard about Gage Kaup from a friend and read his story on CaringBridge.  Since that time, I've followed his family's struggles and triumphs as he awaited a new heart.  A heart that would not be available if it wasn't for the unselfish sacrifice of strangers.

As many of you may know, I am a huge proponent of organ donation.  Twenty-six years ago, my brother Jeff was killed in a snowmobile accident.  My parents decided to donate his organs.  Months later they received a letter that informed them of the specific organs that were donated.  To this day, I wonder if Jeff's heart lives on.  I wonder if a person is seeing through his corneas.  One thing is for sure, though.  I know that my brother saved lives.

A few weeks ago I watched a segment on the Today show in which a woman and the mother of her heart donor were united.  The first thing the mother did was ask if she could put her head against the woman's chest to hear her daughter's heart.  When she did so, the heart skipped a beat.  The mother knew that her daughter lived on.  Her unselfishness saved the life of a woman who has four children.  Needless to say, I was sobbing by the commercial break.  http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39456266/

Please become an organ donor.  It's easy to do and only takes a few minutes of your time.  You can even do it online at http://www.nedonation.org/become-a-donor/ 

Gage's story shows the importance of organ and tissue donation.  This precious child is given the opportunity to live.  Undoubtedly, another family is grieving the loss of its child; however, may they find peace in knowing that they have helped another child have a chance at life.

Gage illustrates the power of prayer.  God has obviously been at work today, providing a new heart and protecting Gage through his surgery.  I realize that the next few hours are very critical for Gage, but I know that this child is a fighter.  Please keep him and his family in your prayers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment