Friday, July 23, 2010

I'm a Survivor!

So this morning at 1:08 A.M. I decided to start a blog.

I started to read The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud after ten o'clock last night and finally put it down well after midnight. It's a book that made me think about life and whether or not I'm doing all I can do to live it to its fullest. Which then led me to think in retrospect about my day.

Thursday was one day I had been dreading for 34 days. I learned at my last doctor's appointment that July 22 was going to be the day that I had to have my blood drawn for the routine glucose tolerance test. Call me a freak, but I would rather go through labor than have my blood drawn. What's sad is that every person who works in my doctor's office knows that I'm a complete basket case when it comes to the process.

So yesterday morning I fixed my required menu of food that was to be eaten one hour before the test, and Barry and I took off for Norfolk. I was in a cold sweat the entire time. The only highlight of my morning was that we went to Target before the appointment and diapers were on sale.

Let me just say this: My husband is amazing! He knows I'm crazy, but he loves me anyway. He was there the entire time, squeezing my hand and doing his best to keep me relaxed. Heck, he even found the best songs on my iPod for me to listen to to relax.

To make a long story short, I didn't pass out. That's a huge achievement for me. And, truthfully, it wasn't that bad. Not that I want to visit the next Blood Drive, but I survived.

And the day just got better. Barry and I had an enjoyable drive home from Norfolk. It seems anymore that our moments together are few and far between. Then my mom offered to watch AJ while I caught up on sleep. (She must have known that I didn't get a wink of sleep the night before in dreaded anticipation of the day.) When we left my parents' house, they were in the hayfield and Dad took AJ for a ride in the tractor as he baled. I've learned that there truly is no greater blessing than seeing my child happy. And AJ didn't even mind that the tractor was red and not green! (The baler's green, so that helped him get over his tractor prejudice.)

And the night ended with me reading the book, which brings me to this blog. I want to document as much as I can about my life. Perhaps by putting my experiences in words, I can do my best to live life to its fullest. After all, life's about living!

0 comments:

Post a Comment